How you know it is time to move in-house...
Working in a PR Agency is one of the best ways to get diverse sector experience and it certainly teaches you how to juggle conflicting priorities and work to tight deadlines. However, there comes a time when most consultants feel the need to specialise and go in-house. Here are a few signs that now is the time for you to jump ship...
- Your wedding invite list has more client names then family names on it.
- Even worse, the wedding list is made up of "potential" clients you have been courting longer than your new spouse.
- Your day is totally ruined if a rival agency gets good coverage for their client and you decide to vent on the new account executive. They are now crying in the toilets - good job!
- You have referred to yourself as a guru at any point in a pitch.
- You have used the term synergy more than five times today.
- You obsessively add up your clients' monthly retainer fees and wonder why you haven't gone freelance or started your own agency.
- You stopped having a favourite client six months ago.
- You regularly say to colleagues "this job would be great if it wasn't for the clients getting in the way".
If this sounds like you don't despair - take a look at VMA's latest roles...and apologise to the account executive!
By Julie Mazzei, Managing Consultant, VMAGROUP North and Midlands