VMAGroup is currently working on an exclusive basis with a FTSE100 business who are making substantial and positive changes across their entire Corporate Affairs Function. As part of this growth we are recruiting for a Policy and Public Affairs Manager to join the PA & Policy team which is well respected across the business. This role has been created at a time when the organisation’s external profile is exceptionally high and faces a number of challenges, so the opportunity to make a significant impact in these role is high.
- Work with the UK Policy Senior Manager to deliver integrated campaigns on issues of strategic importance, helping to shape policy messages
- Support the delivery of corporate strategic campaigns, working with Group Brand & Digital advising on policy, tailoring message development and policy stakeholder mapping and engagement
- Work with the UK Policy Senior Manager to support the UK Manifesto, ensuring it is updated by the business, promote and track its use across the business
- Identify, create and maintain a network of external contacts with think tanks, academics and other policy-based civil rights groups to promote company interests and pro-actively sharing intelligence from this activity back into the business
- Draft written responses in collaboration with colleagues to inquiries/questions from politicians/devolved administrations, including select committees which aligned to strategic campaigns. Support the business in preparing for oral evidence sessions
- Work across the business to pro-actively develop and/or shape policy messages and in line with overall company narrative especially the UK Manifesto, and advising the wider business on the style, tone and content of policy messaging to maximise stakeholder impact
- Proactively analyse policy developments, insight and intelligence from multiple political and media channels which relate to strategic campaigns, understanding their potential impact on the business and what Corporate Affairs should do to mitigate the impact
- Document and distribute intelligence in a timely manner to relevant internal stakeholders, and then where necessary take action
- Horizon scanning, issues management, policy development for the transmission network, taking ownership for lines to take/key messages and updating and embedding the UK manifesto
- Collaborate across the business to develop policies and consultation responses to enhance National Grid’s reputation and understanding of corporate strategy externally
- Work with UK Policy Senior Manager to anticipate and identify current and future strategic issues and trends of commercial interest in the UK to help shape business commercial decisions
Your experience will include:
- In-depth, demonstrable knowledge & experience of all aspects of Public Affairs, including developing policy messages, political positioning and integrated campaigning
- Proven experience of coordinating political and policy engagement across a range of stakeholders, measuring, reviewing and reporting against outcomes
- Track record of successfully communicating policy messages in a clear and concise manner to multiple audiences
- Experience of working and influencing key internal stakeholders in a large, complex organisation, working in a collaborative manner to address and plan external stakeholder responses
- Understanding of the parliamentary and political landscape, and key stakeholders, which relate to and impact on the utilities sector (governmental, regulatory, NGOs, communities, agencies, industry bodies)
- Understanding and experience of the use of digital and social media in political stakeholder engagement
- Strong appreciation of business fundamentals and business strategy and development
- Actively demonstrates the ability to network internally and externally and to develop successful, long-lasting business relationships / partnerships with others
- Strategic thinker with ability to contribute to key communications and policy decisions by interpreting internal and external trends and changes
- Ability to communicate to a high level, highly articulate and a determined and proactive leader and influencer
- Excellent presentation skills and a confident and credible spokesperson for the business when representing the company externally
- Demonstrates the ability to analyse multiple sources of information and produce relevant trends and themes
VMAGROUP is a leading international interim and permanent recruitment and executive search specialist for communications, digital and marketing. Specialist practices cover internal and change communications, external communications, investor relations, public affairs, marketing, digital and agency services.
VMAGROUP has an international presence with five offices across Europe. We have a reputation for providing leading consultancy services and advice supported by in-depth knowledge of the professions we recruit for. Our thought leadership and benchmarking studies have become go-to resources for the communications and marketing industry supporting planning and decision-making.
VMAGROUP is committed to equal opportunities and is a Diversity Pledged Recruiter.