£250 - £275 per day
about 2 months ago
A leading London university is looking for a Senior Communications Officer to join them on an initial six month contract on a day rate of £250 - £275 (inside IR35).
Reporting to the Head of Communications, this role has an external communications focus, with the responsibility to seek news stories and place them in media and professional publications to enhance the university’s reputation and brand.
This role would suit someone from a communications background who is familiar with developing stakeholder relationships, writing stories with good attention to detail and at speed, and is confident dealing with the media and building an organisation’s external presence. Experience of dealing with crisis and ideally preventing them in the first instance, would also be desirable.
This interim role as a late-August start and the hiring manager will be looking to interview candidates w/c 9 August. From mid-September, there will be a hybrid working environment, with the successful candidates expected in the East London office one – two times a week, depending on work requirements.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To proactively seek news stories, marketing opportunities and events involving key stakeholders including, but not limited to, staff, students, alumni, honoraries, governors, decision makers and political influencers
- To use skills to communicate key messages internally and externally
- To produce daily, weekly and regular internal and external communications bulletins on digital outlets
- To work with graphic designers to produce internal and external written publications
- To proof read, sub-edit and check the factual accuracy of communications and key messages before they are published
- To liaise and understand the needs of key stakeholders
- To research and develop stories and digital and non-digital materials to enhance the university’s reputation and brand
- To write stories with speed, accuracy and verve and upload content to digital platforms to enhance the university’s reputation and brand
- To spot and prevent crises before they happen by horizon-scanning
- To find successful strategies to deal with stories harmful to the university’s reputation
- To research and develop innovative ideas and working practices which enable the university to remain ahead of its competitors
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Substantial experience in a recognised regional or national broadcast or print newsroom and/or experience of placing stories in regional and national media
- Knowledge and experience of Content Management Systems to upload digital content
- Knowledge of media contacts to place stories and enhance the reputation and brand
- Experience of public affairs and /or civic engagement.
- Experience of Social Media, SEO and Content Management Systems to optimise traffic to websites and get pick-up by external media
- Experience of dealing with communication crises
- Has experience of writing speeches for internal and external stakeholders including, but not limited to, students, parents, alumni, honoraries, governors, decision makers and political influencers in a professional setting and at professionally prestigious events
- Experience of coaching internal and external stakeholders including, but not limited to, students, parents, alumni, honoraries, governors, decision makers and political influencers to deliver speeches or public presentations in a professional setting and at professionally prestigious events