£45,000 - £50,000
6 months ago
A membership body is looking for an exceptional media and PR specialist to join them on an initial three month contract starting early-June.
This is a hands-on role with the successful applicant managing the delivery of an effective media and PR programme to help raise awareness and understanding of the organisations’ objectives.
Sitting in a newly formed team and managing two communications specialists, this role will suit someone with a charity or consumer PR background who is keen to work closely with the Head of Communications on exciting campaigns over the coming three months.
With the responsibility of managing proactive and effective media responses as well as developing an engaging social media strategy, this position will suit a candidate who likes to take ownership and lead on projects from day one.
- To develop and manage the delivery of an effective media and PR programme which helps raise awareness and understanding, drives attitudinal change and inspires key audiences in pursuit of the organisation’s strategic objectives
- Lead on the organisation’s media relations activity; building and maintaining relationships with journalists, correspondents and programme-makers, identifying spokespeople and opinion-leaders, and providing briefings, training and support.
- Encourage a creative approach by the Media & PR team, to attain positive media and social media coverage across a broad range of on and offline media outlets and social media channels.
- Oversee the development of media plans for the organisation’s events, campaigns and initiatives, and ensure quality output and effective prioritisation of competing demands in liaison with other departments.
- Take overall responsibility for a proactive and effective media response to news and policy announcements that affect the organisation’s corporate and influencing objectives and ensure an effective, speedy, accurate response to all media enquiries (in consultation with the Head of Communications and Marketing, policy colleagues and the Executive team where appropriate).
- Develop analytics reports and collate data on the most impactful media channels – identifying trends in opportunities to view and developing appropriate responses accordingly
- Develop and implement procedures to manage crisis media situations when necessary.
- To deputise for the Head of Communications and Marketing on occasion and represent the organisation externally.
- Contribute to the development of the organisation’s communications and marketing strategy.
- Proven experience of creative public relations activities that raise awareness of an organisation’s event, service or product.
- Strong experience of working with specialist and consumer media.
- Demonstrable experience of the planning, development and implementation of proactive, effective media and public relations activity and campaigns to a range of audiences and stakeholders.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of media outlets and techniques (traditional and social/digital)
- Substantial experience of developing effective and appropriate media messages, positions and briefings.
- Strong experience of effective news management and understanding of crisis media handling.
- Experience of working accurately and confidently with complex and/or policy issues.
- Proven experience of managing a media, PR and/or communications team and demonstrable experience of developing and empowering staff.
- Proven track record in the creation and development of relationships with journalists and media outlets.