£300 - £400 per day
3 months ago
A leading health insurance company is looking for an experienced External Communications Manager to join them on a three month remote contract.
Due to a recent departure in the team, an opportunity has arisen for a contractor to join the communications function to give support whilst they focus on a more permanent longer term hire. This candidate will need to have extensive leadership experience as this position has the responsibility for three direct reports, all at Executive level.
The successful candidate will need to have the ability to hit the ground running as they’ll be required to define and lead the multi-channel corporate communications strategy (external, including social media). They’ll also oversee the building and protecting of the business’ reputation with all internal and external stakeholder groups.
The role holder will be confident in their skills and ability, operating mostly within familiar areas and boundaries of their role. They will have ownership for achieving and improving personal performance, acting on opportunities in their role and seeking new opportunities to develop. A focus will be on achieving personal goals/daily targets and having a personal impact on the goals set for the wider team. They will be open to personal feedback and work on leveraging strengths in their development areas whilst building positive relationships with team members and stakeholders, showing an awareness of different perspectives and styles. They will be confident to speak up in meetings and state their opinions, spotting opportunities and escalating issues to improve their own performance and processes and costs at team level.
This role has an immediate start so do get in touch if it sounds of interest and you can start a new role swiftly.
- Define the organisation’s corporate communication strategy and oversee the delivery in line with business strategy plans and objectives
- Define and lead the media relations activity, working with appropriate partners to establish the plan and approach.
- Oversee the preparation for media engagements and provide the associated support for the executive leadership team and other spokespeople across the business
- Protect the business’ reputation across all channels, with specific focus applied to how it engages across varied digital and social media platforms, regularly liaising with the Risk and Legal teams to ensure they are collectively taking the right approach to protect their reputation and manage crisis response activity.
- Influence and engage with key stakeholders to deliver the communication strategy
- Define and deliver a communications plan with robust metrics that supports the colleague value proposition and enhances colleague engagement
- Lead the Communications team, encouraging connection and collaboration with all parts of the organisation. As the role model provide professional development to ensure the team are highly skilled and capable to meet the needs across the business
- Develop each team member in line with their aspirations, career plans and personal development plans, providing meaningful support and feedback to ensure they can be the best they can be
Experience and skillset required
- Knowledge and experience of both internal and external communications practices, with demonstrable experience of leading activity that can meet the needs of multiple stakeholder groups
- A proven track record in overseeing the creation of inspiring and engaging content across a variety of communications channels
- Senior level experience of shaping and delivering a communications strategy; defining objectives, plans and goals
- Experienced in stakeholder management and developing robust business relationships.
- Experience of leading a team of communications experts, providing guidance support and development
- Quickly understanding an organisation’s purpose, values and objectives and how they support the company reputation
- A proven understanding of media relations, preferably with experience of working in a media relations team or in a journalistic capacity
- Experience of leading comms across a change agenda, with the ability to join messages to create an overall narrative and make sense of an emerging picture
- Knowledge of social media platforms, including how to optimise them for the benefit of an organisation’s public profile