£45,000 - £52,600
over 1 year ago
Who are we looking for?
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced media relations specialist who is looking for their next challenge within a dynamic organisation and fast-paced communications and public affairs team.
Cambridge Assessment is a global leader in the field of learning and assessment and you will have a passion for advocating our purpose to help learners demonstrate and fulfil their potential. You will help to tell our story to the world and have significant experience of leading and producing proactive and reactive external communications.
You will have day-to-day responsibility for our press office and corporate publications, and provide expertise and advice which ensures the reputation of Cambridge Assessment is promoted and protected. With your broad experience, you will work with a range of colleagues to proactively manage positive campaigns across a range of external channels, develop and sustain relationships with the media, whilst providing sound advice to senior stakeholders on media opportunities, issues and risks.
What you’ll be doing
- Manage the department’s press office and act as a first point of call for media enquiries, whilst tracking and responding to media activity.
- Proactively manage a pipeline of positive media coverage and quality news stories through building and collaborating with a strong network of internal stakeholders.
- Ensure all media relations activity is defined in clear content plans that specify activity across our communication channels including group website, social media platforms, newsletters, bulletins, publications and internal channels.
- Build effective relationships with media editors and journalists who reach the organisation’s target audiences in order to positively influence coverage and comment.
- Support and co-ordinate response for issue and crisis communications including providing advice on media response strategies to mitigate risk, developing reactive statements and coaching senior spokespersons.
- Work closely with senior stakeholders to develop proactive and reactive comments in response to media activity and support and coach media spokespersons as required.
- Lead on the production and print of Group publications, coordinating and editing content.
- Produce daily and weekly new digests.
- Day to day line management responsibility for some members of the team.
What we’re looking for
- Educated to degree level or equivalent professional qualification
- Significant PR experience with media relations focus gained in an international organisation, preferably in the education and assessment sector.
- Strong track record of identifying appropriate media opportunities which serve to promote and enhance organisational reputation.
- Experience of managing PR agencies.
- Able to influence and support senior level stakeholders up to and including Board members.
- Full understanding of media management including press office function.
- Experience of evaluating impact of media activity.
- Proven experience of handling crisis communication and identifying issues of reputational risk.
- Building and maintaining relationships with media, including editors, journalists and broadcasters.
- Creating engaging content for press releases, by-line articles, media statements, FAQs, blogs and abstract.
- Solid experience of social media management.
- Exposure to working in a matrix environment and achieving results though collaborative and partnership working.
- Previous line management experience.
- Demonstrable own initiative working.
Who we are?
Cambridge Assessment is Europe's largest assessment group, incorporating three major awarding bodies. It plays a leading role in researching, developing and delivering assessment to eight million candidates in 170 countries every year. The Group is a department of the University of Cambridge and a not-for-profit organisation.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a market leader and be rewarded with valuable learning opportunities, a competitive salary and benefits.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive package of benefits to help with your life both inside and outside of work:
- Generous contributory pension
- 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Annual performance related bonus and increases (discretionary)
- Enhanced maternity/paternity pay
- Employee discount and cash back scheme at 2,500 retailers
- Cycle scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Subsidised staff restaurants
- Support for professional qualifications
- Discounted access to the University of Cambridge Sport Centre, along with various other local gyms
We know that diversity of thinking, backgrounds and approaches lead to innovation and create an atmosphere where everyone’s contribution is valued. As well as wanting to create diverse teams, we also value diversity in the way our people approach their work. Work/life balance is important to us at Cambridge Assessment and we offer our colleagues a range of flexible working options according to the needs of the business and the individual, so please let us know of any flexible working requirements when applying and we can see how we can support you.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 22/04/2019 and interviews will be held on 30/04/2019.
If you’re successful at interview stage we will ask you to undergo background screening (carried out by Credence Background Screening Ltd), to ensure that all information provided to us is accurate. We wish you all the very best with your application.
CAMBRIDGE ASSESSMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER
Job Segment: Communications, Bank, Banking, Manager, PR, Marketing, Finance, Management