Up To £32,000
11 months ago
A truly special opportunity has arisen to become part of a charity leading the way in pioneering sight loss research. Our client is looking for a Senior Media Officer with the right skills and attitude to join their team and make a difference.
The purpose of this new role will be to work with the Head of Communications and Marketing to maximise media coverage for our client. The Senior Media Officer will help to raise the profile of the organisation through national, regional and social media as well as helping to position our client as the go to organisation for journalists requiring expertise in the area of eye health and eye research.
As Senior Media Officer, you will play an instrumental role in raising the profile of our client through strategy development, proactive placement of news stories and features, and will take a lead in developing and delivering social media.
Roles and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support and develop media strategy, identifying and maximising media opportunities and building relationships with trade, national and regional journalists.
- Deputise for the Head of Communications and Marketing when needed in taking the lead on all aspects of media coverage for the organisation.
- Handle press enquiries, reactively managing issues where needed and making the most of opportunities to raise the profile of our client.
- Work with communications, fundraising and research teams to proactively maximise media coverage.
- Support development and delivery of media plans for the charity’s events and campaigns.
- Promote our client through social media to widen the supporter base and increase the reach of the organisation.
- Support with media monitoring and reporting to demonstrate impact of the media team across the organisation.
- Participate in on call rota.
Required for the role:
- At least five years relevant experience working in a press office environment.
- Excellent written and oral skills, the ability to translate scientific research into accessible stories that inspire the reader.
- Tact, diplomacy and political awareness; ability to handle complex and potentially sensitive situations and act as a spokesperson for a national organisation.
- Highly creative and a good track record in developing media strategies and obtaining proactive media coverage; experience in placing case study based features in national media would be beneficial.
- Good digital experience and the ability to use social media channels to inspire and engage audiences.
- The ability to pick up information quickly and work on own initiative
Values and Behaviours
- Clear sighted
Our client is an equal opportunities employer and particularly welcomes applications from people with sight loss.
This role is based in E1, London
VMAGROUP is the leading international interim and permanent recruitment and executive search specialists for Marketing, Digital and Communications roles. Specialist practices cover internal communications, external communications, marketing, digital, financial services, investor relations and public affairs.
With a truly global reach, VMAGROUP has offices across the UK, Europe and Asia-Pacific.
VMAGROUP is committed to equal opportunities and is a Diversity Pledged Recruiter.