Willem de Ruijter
about 1 year ago
Friends of Europe is a leading think tank known for its ability to connect citizens to policy makers, to facilitate quality debates and enable change in policy making. Based in Brussels, ‘connect-debate-change’ is in the DNA and central to the way Friends of Europe works. It is a small yet complex organisation, well known and appreciated for what they do and who they are. In Friends of Europe the communications function is key, and we are looking for a ‘Head of Communications’.
The Head of Communications will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate Friends of Europe’s purpose, ambition, and capability.
With a strong background in writing, editing and message management, the Head of Communications will ensure that the organization is viewed as a leading think tank; known for its ability to connect citizens to policy makers, to facilitate quality debates and enable change in better policy making.
Main Responsibilities include:
- Lead the communications strategy and execution (campaigning themes, positioning, link to current affairs and world developments).
- Develop, implement, and evaluate Friends of Europe’s multi-annual communications and editorial plan in collaboration with the Leadership Team and act as the communications partner for the leadership team.
- Provide high quality editorial direction to ensure Friends of Europe’s maintain and improve visibility and recognition as a thought leader in its chosen areas of activity; chair the editorial meetings.
- Lead the generation of editorial and multimedia content (article, videos, newsletters, and marketing material) using all relevant Friends of Europe assets that engages audiences and leads to measurable action.
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness.
- Lead a team of 5-7 direct reports responsible for content creation, multimedia activities, website administration and social media outreach and engagement.
- Foster and manage all relations with press & media outlets plus news stories & curtain raisers.
- Measure the effectiveness and impact of communications activities and engagement with audiences.
- Design and execute impactful cross-platform marketing campaigns, also linked to memberships and our venue Townhall Europe.
- Deliver new methods and ideas to improve membership and partnership experience and retention.
Key requirements for the positions:
- At least 7 years of communications experience, ideally in an ‘in-house’ leadership role within a relatively small yet complex (multi-stakeholder) organization.
- Active knowledge of the European context, cooperation, and institutions.
- Highly pro-active and collaborative with a journalistic background.
- English native speaker.
- Experience of managing a team, planning, and commissioning content, editing, and writing.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Solid experience in developing and implementing communications strategies.
- The ability to be persuasive and personally effective using honed verbal communication skills.
- The ability to take knowledge/information and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels.
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to ‘manage by influence’.
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, programme participants and other supporters.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently and is entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiative.
This is an exciting role at the heart of the European debate. The remuneration is in line with the market norm for similar Brussels organizations. The right candidate can grow into a Director level position, and the true motivation should be based on dedication and belief in the mission of Friends of Europe.