Talent Wars – Are You Ready?
Recent reports that the UK economy and labour market are back on the bounce is certainly good news, but it has left some companies missing out on the top talent as they are too slow in their recruitment processes.
Gone are the days when a company can take months to finally make a job offer. Those that do will find individuals dropping out as they have been offered a position elsewhere.
At VMA, we are advising clients to act fast and commit. This doesn’t mean appointing someone without properly confirming they are the right candidate but instead streamlining your internal procedures and getting a commitment from the hiring managers to keep the interview process moving.
If you are the HR lead for recruitment or a line manager responsible for recruiting for you team, here is my advice:
- agree time lines from the start and stick to them
- be clear about why it is great to work at your company and be able to answer why did you join the business
- strong-arm (within reason) senior leaders to make the time in their diary now rather than later
- use technology – can some of the key people do the interview by video link or skype for the first round rather than waiting until they are next on site
- keep candidates and recruiters informed along the way
- ask candidates if they have any other interviews or live applications
- if you are keen on a candidate, tell them right away that you will be taking them through to the next round – hearing this news in person has a real positive impact
- have a good relationship with your recruiter – they will know what other jobs the candidate is considering and will also have the insight on which is their top choice
Finding the right people absolutely will impact the financial results of an organisation so make sure it is your business rather than a competitor that is getting it right!
By Julie Mazzei