A lot can change in a year…
One year on from my first day in the VMA Direct team at VMA Group in the and there have been a lot of changes. I started off as a complete beginner but in my time here I have learnt endless amounts about a brand new industry and sector. There have been plenty of successes and some disappointments but there is a lot I can take away and put into practice for years to come. In the next few months it is all about letting those changes, that inevitably happen, be positive ones and this is something everyone can benefit from.
Building relationships is crucial to this role. Strong client relationships make you credible and respected in your field and having a good relationship with candidates is so valuable. It’s fascinating to find out what makes the future communications experts tick and it is those candidates that are engaging, inquisitive and open to change that really stand out. However, even if they always appear to know exactly what they are looking for it may not be the case.
Candidates often feel stuck or in limbo in their current roles, there may not be enough progression available or recognition for the hard work they do. It doesn’t have to stay that way. There are a few steps you can take that can change everything, even in one short year.
- Create a vision for your next role – think realistically about whether your current path is one you want to be on, you don’t want to come away from something feeling as if it was all a waste of time.
- Devise a short term strategy – career changes begin with the first step, speaking with a professional that knows the communications market helps initially clarify what it is that’s wrong and what you can do about it to move forward.
- Take a good look at risk vs. reward – talk about what it is you need to feel the benefits of from a new role, whether it’s more responsibility or a higher salary. Think about what is necessary.
- Never give up – rejection is undoubtedly one of the worst feelings in the world but it happens to everybody, if one challenge doesn’t work out pick yourself up and move onto the next, drive momentum and keep moving forward.
A lot can change in a year, and undoubtedly time always flies by. Before you know it the Christmas lights will be up, so make the most of it!
By Alice Wisbey
You might also like
- VMAGROUP wins Marketing & Comms Specialist Team at 2018 Marketing & Digital Recruitment Awards
- How business development crosses industry borders
- Als Personalberater einsteigen bei VMAGROUP
- Moving from PR to recruitment – the first six months