Let’s be honest, interviewing is not everyone’s cup of tea; it can be nerve-wracking, particularly if it’s for a role you really, really want. Our job as recruiters is to try and guide you through the process, and the following advice is all about getting your foot in the door.
It is worth noting that first and foremost, your initial interview may not be with your prospective employer; if you are working with a recruiter it will be when you meet your consultant. Don’t be put off, but do be aware that the impression you give here will ultimately be what gets you in front of the client – or not!
If you are successfully shortlisted for a role and subsequently asked to attend an interview, congratulations! These top tips are for the next steps….
- Do your homework – A client wants to know you want to work for them, and not that this interview is one of many (even if that is the case!). Clients don’t expect you to recite their history, but they do want to know you have an awareness of who they are, the environment they’re operating in, and the challenges and opportunities they face.
- Plan some questions – This is a great opportunity to show an interest in the organisation. Clients look favourably on candidates who are keen to find out more and have done their research, asking insightful questions.
- Look the part – Even if you are not applying for a role in a corporate environment, it is important to dress appropriately. If in doubt, a suit is always a safe option.
- Be punctual – Please allow plenty of time to get to your destination. As we all know, trains, trams and buses don’t always play ball, so planning your route in advance is always advisable.
Sadly there is no “one size fits all” when preparing for an interview; every interviewer will have their own style and format. This advice is just a flavour of the kind of guidance and support we can give you, so if you would like discuss your next career move in further detail, please contact us.
You might also like
- VMAGROUP wins Marketing & Comms Specialist Team at 2018 Marketing & Digital Recruitment Awards
- How business development crosses industry borders
- Developing a career in internal communications
- Als Personalberater einsteigen bei VMAGROUP